Who We Are and What We Do
We are fearless advocates for our clients. We have successfully tried complex, high stakes cases to verdict in state and federal courts across the country. We have gone toe- to-toe with the toughest adversaries in the most challenging jurisdictions. And we know how to solve problems quickly and efficiently so that our clients can avoid the extraordinary expense and disruption of scorched earth litigation.
We have experience litigating the full range of commercial disputes, including breach-of-contract claims, business torts, fraud and unfair-competition claims, dealer/distributor disputes, trade-secret claims, derivative and securities claims, post-closing disputes, and lender-liability claims.
We represent a wide array of entities and individuals. Our clients include Fortune 100 companies, family-owned businesses, start-ups, non-profits, individuals and government agencies.
Our partners have tried more than 200 cases to verdict. We have litigated in every major jurisdiction in the country, in key state and federal appellate courts, and in the United States Supreme Court. We have worked with nationally recognized mediators and dispute-resolution organizations to resolve high-stakes, mission-critical disputes.
We pride ourselves on the diversity of talent that we have assembled. Our ranks include six former Assistant U.S. Attorneys, a former Cook County judge, a former general counsel of three publicly traded companies, a former general counsel of a government agency, and a host of litigators recognized by Chambers, Super Lawyers, Leading Lawyers, and Best Lawyers in America as leaders in their profession.
Our Approach and Results
We believe that a diverse team of litigators drives the best results for our clients. We understand that it is critical to learn our clients’ needs and business goals on day one. We prioritize our clients’ problems as if they were our own. We focus on full alignment with our clients at every stage of the dispute resolution process.
We recognize that disputes often need to be resolved quickly and effectively to keep a business relationship on course or to preserve scarce resources. To meet that need, we have the experience to provide insightful early case assessment and to develop appropriate early exit strategies. But when a prompt resolution is not possible, we bring the same creativity, passion and resolve to the courtroom.
We deliver value to our clients and align our pricing mechanism with our clients’ business needs and expectations. Our partners become fully invested in each matter because effective advocacy is a hands-on venture and we believe that lean litigation teams can deliver great results in a much more cost-effective way.
- Successfully challenged the constitutionality of a dealer protection statute under the Commerce and Contracts Clauses of the US and Illinois Constitutions.
- Developed and implemented a strategy to resolve a series of nationwide false advertising class actions that threatened the brand equity of an international consumer products company.
- Defended an international financial institution against a $300 million lender-liability claim in a federal jury trial, obtained a defense verdict on the plaintiff’s claim, and recovered over $1 million on the bank’s counterclaim.
- Won a defense verdict for a national insurance company following a jury trial where the plaintiff sought damages in excess of $100 million in coverage for an environmental contamination claim.
- Mediated to successful resolution a nine-figure royalty dispute involving a major product line of an international food and beverage company.
- Multiple representations of officers and directors of publicly traded companies in securities class actions and shareholder derivative litigation involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, waste of corporate assets, insider trading and other alleged wrongdoing.
- Defended a global financial institution in multi-billion dollar mortgage-backed security litigation.
- Defended a high-frequency trading firm in a CFTC enforcement action, class action and related criminal investigation relating to allegations of manipulation of oil and gas futures markets.
- Successfully pursued multi-million dollar claims for accounting fraud on behalf of the private equity buyer of a Las Vegas based site-preparation company.
- Defended a national food distribution company in 13 jurisdictions and successfully resolved claims alleging food contamination, breach of contract, unfair competition, and vendor-related disputes.
- Multiple representations of consumer products and software companies in connection with claims of misappropriation of trade secrets.